Thursday, February 3, 2022

Parametric Furniture Concept

Yo! Happy Thursday. 

I would like to make a table lamp on the CNC Machine. Here are my thoughts and attempts at working these problems out in my good friends Rhino and Grasshopper. 

First I started with a sketch. Can't draw to save my life, but you get the idea. 

Then I did it with cardboard to start working through possible geometry and definition before I hit the computer. 



Ready to get started on my design, I began in Rhino as I am more comfortable with the tools in Rhino and the translation between Rhino and Grasshopper is a challenge for my brain, but a welcome one.  


Many Challenges as you can see. I am really excited about this concept though and went into Grasshopper to begin the process of creating this. Here is my beginning definition. 


Challenges:
Shell - Could not figure out how to get this to work. 
Fillet - Could not sort this out either. Had trouble with defining the curve, when I selected my Brep Join it went red on me. Not 100% Sure where to assign the geometry. 
Curve - I would like to be able to break the curve down and alter it. I did build the wiggle curve in Rhino, moved it and then assigned the curve in Grasshopper. 

Things I would like to learn:
Wiggle Curve - The curve shape how I can scale this to different sizes, is it possible to array the curve and then add it to the poly surface before doing a SDiff? I would like to be able to remove negative space from all sides of the surface and different on each surface. I can't even begin to comprehend how to move forward with that. 
Interlocking edges - The other idea I have is to have interlocking edges to put this together. I wonder if I need to build each individual piece and then put them together? 






Eventually I would like to install a light in the bottom section of this table, and then also have a glass pane on the top surface. In a perfect world, I would love one of the edges of the table to open with hinges for easy access to the inside and be able to change the light when needed. 

Lots of work to do and lots of help needed. Looking forward to bringing this idea to life. 

Thanks! See you tomorrow. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Structure Collab Final Week

And we've made it. Half dead, and really sleepless. I am glad to see that this project has come together, although I am not sure we are ...