Thursday, April 7, 2022

Structure Collab Week 3

Okay so, I learned a very valuable lesson. Always build your stuff in Grasshopper, and although Rhino may seem faster, it never is.  

I spent countless hours building tabs in rhino only to have to re-do it again in Grasshopper, I am hours behind in all my studies and been paying for this mistake big time. 

I was pretty proud of the work that I had done in Rhino as it was very time consuming to create all the tabs, and not realizing if the supplies changed, that all the geometry would need to be changed as well. 

Further to this debacle, there was a scaling issue from the original model and I moved forward with the scaled model vs the original and that made for an even bigger mess. All in all, the team came together and we were able to get it figured out. 

I wasn't sure how to move forward with a definition in Grasshopper, and the process seemed like it would take longer than in Rhino. Here is my original model with tabs. 


So to build in Grasshopper, I remembered Bryan saying that everything Rhino can do, Grasshopper can do it too. 

 I began with a lot of construction points. 


Then I built this beast. Doesn't seem like much because it is so repetitive, but it was tricky to get all the layers, extrusions and directions correct. I am pleased how this turned out, as I wasn't feeling confident I would be able to do this. Grasshopper is still overwhelming to me, and I do have a lot more comfort with Rhino. 


BEAST!! 


In the end, I was getting solid results for the most part. I needed help from the team to finish it up, as all of the geometry for the shelf unit was also built in Rhino and was therefore the wrong thickness. I still have yet to sort out Re-map numbers (the one sider to rule them all). Not sure if that would work in this case? Also, I wonder if there was a less tedious way of building the tabs? 



I wish we would have reduced the number of shelves to make this project a little more manageable, as this was a difficult and overly ambitious project. I hope the rest of it goes smoothly and we get it painted. I was able to secure some decently priced spray paint for the team, and Daniela picked it up from the deep south. Thanks team for a solid week! 

Until I write again, I will be catching up for all the lost time, but I have learned so much. 

Cheers, 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Structure Collab Final Week

And we've made it. Half dead, and really sleepless. I am glad to see that this project has come together, although I am not sure we are ...